Breakfast is served in the dining room between 7.00am and 8.30am Monday to Friday and between 9.00am and 10.00am Saturday and Sunday (please ask if alternative arrangements are required).
Full Yorkshire# breakfast is offered, alongside croissants, toast, yoghurts*, cereals*, fresh fruit salads, fruit juices* and Faye’s freshly squeezed orange juice, a selection of teas*, herbal teas*, filter coffee and York speciality hot chocolates. In addition, the menu will show choices to order such as Yockenthwaite porridge, French toast, boiled eggs with toasted soldiers, scrambled eggs with or without Staal Smokehouse smoked salmon, Kippers from Staal Smokehouse, Yorkshire and regional cheeses and crusty organic bread.
#Yorkshire breakfast includes locally produced free range eggs, locally produced dry cured bacon and black pudding, local speciality and award winning sausages, baby tomatoes, locally produced mushrooms and homemade potato cakes.
*Organically sourced wherever possible.
We endeavour to cater for special dietary requirements. Please use our contact form or telephone us on 01977 682252 and ask for Faye or Kevin to enquire further or to tell us your requirements, or respond to our email sent on reservation.
Plans for late 2020 and beyond are to begin offering evening meals and a bar facility for our guests. Meals will be home cooked using the freshest local produce. In the lead up to this, Faye will be further developing her culinary skills at a variety of Yorkshire based cookery schools.
We are able to book a table for you at nearby restaurants. (There are three in the village and more in nearby Sherburn-in-Elmet or Selby.) Details will be made available in our information packs to each room.
Guests are kindly requested to not bring back takeaway meals to their rooms (due to potential damage to soft furnishings). However a table will be laid for you on request in the dining room so that takeaways can be eaten in the dining area. (There is no charge for this facility).
Alcoholic drinks are available to purchase from our shop and can be consumed within the Barn. Glasses will be made available and wine uncorked upon request at no extra charge.
The Sourcing of Food Used at The Barn
Foods are carefully sourced by looking at not only their quality and provenance but also their place of origin (in order to support a variety of small Yorkshire businesses and lessen air miles ) and, for some foods, whether they are organic and/or fair trade.
Fifty percent of our foods are sourced within a five mile radius of The Barn. In addition, 90% of the foods we use are sourced within Yorkshire and are also stocked in our shop (The Village Stores) next door where we endeavour to showcase Yorkshire produce as well as provide the usual range of family groceries alongside Yorkshire crafts as well as Post Office services.
Please see below our list of food and beverage suppliers . Those situated closest to us are listed first.
Foods marked * are organic. Foods marked # are fairtrade. Foods marked F are free range. Foods marked Ffmd are freedom farmed.
- Homemade truffles and fudge – made with Longley Farm (Holmfirth) jersey herd butter and cream, Brackenhill (York) preserves and Taylors (Harrogate) coffee.
- Homemade biscuits – made using Longley Farm butter and free range eggs from Hambleton.
- Homemade potato cakes – made using potatoes and onions from Davison and Robinson wholesalers, Castleford and eggs from Parkins, Hambleton.
- Fresh fruits,(including oranges for our freshly squeezed orange juice), mushrooms, potatoes, onions, tomatoes and milk– from Davison and Robinson wholesalers, Castleford.
NB. Davison and Robinson use local farmers to supply eg. potatoes such as Moortop Farm, (Hemsworth).
- Yorkshire cheeses – supplied by Michael Lee Fine Cheeses, (Featherstone).
- Honey – Faye’s cousin – Suzanne Bradley, (Wheldrake, York), Mr R McGregor, (Monk Fryston), Mr. R. Hirst (Bishopthorpe, York).
- F Sausages (from free range pigs) – Rorty Crankle (Monk Fryston), and Martin Nunns (Ffmd) at Hall Garth Farm (Birkin).
- F Eggs (free range) – Parkins, (Hambleton Village)
- Ffmd Bacon (dry cured) – Martin Nunns at Hall Garth Farm (Birkin).
- Ffmd Black pudding – Martin Nunns at Hall Garth Farm, (Birkin).
- Sliced bread – Hinnits Bakery, (Ackworth).
- * Muesli – Side Oven, (Carr House Farm, Driffield).
- * Apple juice – (Carr House Farm, Driffield)
- Yorkshire Tea, English Breakfast Tea, all ground coffees – Taylors of Harrogate and Betty’s of York.
- Complimentary Mineral Water – Harrogate Spring Water, Harrogate (glass bottles – to avoid use of plastic).
- Preserves – Brackenhill, (Elvington, York), and The Fruity Kitchen, (York).
- Hot Chocolate – of course this has to come from the ‘Chocolate City’ of York! Now that Sophie Jewett, owner of York Cocoa House has turned York in to a manufacturing centre of chocolate once again – we felt duty bound to offer our guests the finest hot chocolates from both York Cocoa House and Bettys of York.
- Packeted biscuits – Grandma Wild’s, (Steeton, Bradford)
- Cream and butter – from the Jersey herd at Longley Farm, (Holmfirth).
- Yoghurt – Longley Farm, (Holmfirth) and *Yeo Valley.
- Kippers and Smoked salmon – Staal Smokehouse, (Long Riston, East Yorks).
- Porridge oats from Yockenthwaite Farm, Skipton
- # and * Herbal, flavoured and fruit teas – Clipper.
- *Organic Bread and Croissants – Country Choice (baked- off in- house daily)
Award Winning Guest House
Best B and B in Yorkshire 2019